The Nomos Orion Neomatik 41 New Black: A Timeless Blend of Style and Sophistication
The Nomos Orion Neomatik is back in a new black, and it’s a sight to behold. While it’s been a while since we’ve talked about Nomos, their latest offering is worth the wait. At first glance, the Orion Neomatik 41 New Black might look like just another black dial and steel case watch, but there’s much more beneath its surface.
Subtle Yet Significant Updates Across the Board
Nomos has cleverly updated the Orion across three different sizes. The standout feature is the black galvanized dial, now more streamlined without a sunken subsidiary seconds. This creates a cleaner, more cohesive design. The sub-seconds is now flush with the rest of the dial, enhancing the overall sleekness.
- Sizes & Movement: The watch is available in 36mm and 38.5mm (or 39mm as they call it) models, both featuring the DUW3001 movement with a 43-hour power reserve. The 41mm version boasts a color-matched date with a gold font.
A Touch of Gold
Each model has its unique touch of warmth, achieved through gold accents.
- 36mm Model: Gold-toned applied hour markers and “Neomatik.”
- 39mm Model: Gold accents on “Neomatik” and a marker at six o’clock.
- 41mm Model: Gold hands and date display, along with the previously mentioned features.
All models are housed in a steel case, with thickness ranging from 8.5mm to 9.4mm, and come with a classy black Horween shell cordovan strap.
Price Points: The watches are priced at $3,580, $3,920, and $4,200, respectively.
What We Think
Nomos seems to have hit the sweet spot for those who appreciate a mix of steel and gold. These watches are perfect for dressy occasions, thanks to their slim profile (8.4mm, 8.7mm, and 9.4mm) and solid calibers (the DUW3001 and DUW6101) with Nomos’ swing system escapement. The price might be a bit steep for some, venturing into Tudor territory, but the design, craftsmanship, and finish justify the cost.
The watches also boast improved water resistance, now up to 50m. While I personally favor sunken subdials, the flat dial harmonizes beautifully with Nomos’s minimalist Bauhaus design, possibly even outshining previous models.
The Only Catch
If you’re picky about gold accents and case sizes, you might find the selection a bit limiting. For instance, if you desire gold hands on a 36mm case, you’ll have to make a tough choice among the available options.
Technical Specifications at a Glance
- Brand: Nomos
- Model: Nomos Orion Neomatik 39/41 New Black
- Dial: Black galvanized, with a choice of steel or gold indexes
- Case Material: Stainless steel
- Water Resistance: Up to 50m
- Strap: Black Horween Genuine Shell Cordovan
- Movement: DUW 3001 (smaller models), DUW 6101 (41mm)
The Nomos Orion Neomatik 41 New Black is more than just a timepiece; it’s a statement of elegance and precision. While it may not suit every taste, especially for those who prefer different combinations of gold accents, it stands out as a remarkable piece of craftsmanship. Nomos continues to impress with its blend of functionality, design, and that subtle touch of luxury.